Have You Been Injured Due to Living In Disrepair

Have You Been Injured Due to Living In Disrepair?

Living in a home that is not adequately maintained can lead to various challenges, and unfortunately, personal injuries can be one of them. Issues related to housing disrepair have gained increasing attention, highlighting the potential risks that individuals may face in poorly maintained living conditions. This article goes into the repercussions of living in disrepair and the steps individuals can take if they have suffered personal injuries as a result.

Understanding Housing Disrepair:

Housing disrepair refers to the inadequate maintenance or neglect of a council or housing association property, leading to various issues such as damp, mould, structural problems, faulty plumbing, and electrical hazards. These conditions not only compromise the quality of life but can also pose significant health and safety risks to residents.

Personal Injuries and Housing Disrepair:

Living in a property with disrepair issues can contribute to personal injuries in several ways. Dampness and mould can exacerbate respiratory conditions, while structural problems may result in accidents such as slips, trips, or falls. Faulty electrical wiring and plumbing can lead to fires or flooding, causing harm to the occupants. It is crucial for individuals to be aware of the potential dangers associated with housing disrepair and take proactive steps to address them.

Legal Remedies for Personal Injuries:

Tenants in the UK have rights that protect them from living in unsafe conditions. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 and the Defective Premises Act 1972 impose obligations on landlords to maintain properties in a safe and habitable condition and ensure that tenants and all other occupants are safe from harm. If these obligations are not met, tenants may have grounds to pursue legal action.

Steps to Take:
  • Document the Issues: Keep a detailed record of the disrepair issues, including photographs, dates, and any correspondence with the landlord regarding the problems.
  • Seek medical attention from your GP or Hospital if you have health issues or have suffered injuries as a result of the disrepair.
  • Notify the Council or Housing Association: Report the issues to your landlord in writing, clearly outlining the problems and requesting prompt repairs.
  • Seek Legal Advice: If the council or housing association fails to address the disrepair issues, consult with a solicitor specialised in housing disrepair cases. They can provide guidance on the next steps and assess the viability of a legal claim.


Average Compensation - £1,895
We work on a NO WIN NO FEE basis
to get your home put right and to get you compensated!

Living in disrepair can have severe consequences, including personal injuries that compromise the well-being of individuals. It is essential for tenants to be aware of their rights, document issues, and take appropriate steps to address housing disrepair. Seeking legal advice can be a crucial step towards ensuring that landlords fulfil their obligations, providing a safer and healthier living environment for all residents.

How we can help you to claim for Personal Injury caused for living in disrepair

Our Team of Experts can help you with the following aspects:

  • How severe your injury is, and your recovery-time.
  • Whether your injury will affect your life in the future.
  • The amount of time you’ve had to take off work because of your injury.
  • Any care you’ve received, even if from a family member.
  • Any adaptations to your home, car or life.
  • Any medical expenses, from therapy costs to prescription costs and even travel expenses.

Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors are housing disrepair claim experts, assisting tenants nationwide on a NO WIN NO FEE basis to compel their Council to carry out crucial repairs to their properties, in addition to recovering compensation for the period of time repairs have been delayed.

Our team has decades of combined experience in dealing with Housing Disrepair Claims. We are sympathetic, understanding, and are here to help you every step of the way.

Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors can usually handle Housing Disrepair Claims on a No Win No Fee basis.

Call or email us today to discuss your claim.


For fast, friendly affordable legal advice. Contact a member of our team today.


For any questions we may be able to answer, discover our FAQ section.

Contact Us