The Importance of Reporting Housing Disrepair

James Pearce looks at problems caused when clients don’t report for disrepair before claim for housing disrepair.

As a Council or Housing Association tenant you have the legal right to live in a property safe and free from any issues of disrepair as your landlord is legally obligated to repair your property and maintain it to a reasonable standard.

If you are living in disrepair and you have not reported it yet to your Council or Housing Association, you need to act quickly and notify your landlord of all issues. Your landlord is then entitled to a reasonable period of time to organise repairs. If after 2/3 months you are ignored by your landlord and the repairs are not completed, then it’s time to contact us.

Here are some tips on what you can do to report your disrepair:

  1. Document the disrepair: Take photos or videos of the disrepair and make notes of any conversations you may have had with your landlord or property manager about it.
  2. Check your tenancy agreement: Review your tenancy agreement to see what it says about reporting and repairing disrepair. It may have specific requirements for how and when you should report any disrepair.
  3. Report the disrepair: Contact your landlord or property manager to report the disrepair as soon as possible. You can do this in writing or verbally, but it’s recommended to have a written record of your report. Make sure to be clear about the nature of the disrepair and the urgency of the situation.
  4. Follow up: If you don’t hear back from your landlord or property manager after reporting the disrepair, follow up with them to ensure that they are taking action to address the issue. You may also want to consider contacting your local council or housing authority for assistance.

Remember, it’s important to report any disrepair as soon as possible to ensure your safety and well-being as a tenant.



Average Compensation - £1,895
We work on a NO WIN NO FEE basis
to get your home put right and to get you compensated!


Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors are housing disrepair claim experts, assisting tenants nationwide on a NO WIN NO FEE basis to compel their council or Housing Association to conduct crucial repairs to their properties, in addition to recovering compensation for the period of time repairs have been delayed.

Our team has decades of combined experience in dealing with Housing Disrepair Claims. We are sympathetic, understanding, and are here to help you every step of the way.

Contact us today to discuss your claim against your landlord.

James Pearce


For fast, friendly affordable legal advice. Contact a member of our team today.


For any questions we may be able to answer, discover our FAQ section.

Contact Us