Council Landlord Ignoring Your Disrepair

Is Your Council Landlord Ignoring Your Disrepair?

If you live in a Council Property it is their responsibility to provide a safe, secure, and well-maintained home. Therefore, the Council or Local Authority must repair any reported issues they are legally responsible for, especially if the conditions are affecting your health.

If you have complained and your Council Landlord is ignoring you and has not fixed the issue in a reasonable timeframe, Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors can give you the help you deserve by ensuring the repairs are completed.


Average Compensation - £1,895
We work on a NO WIN NO FEE basis
to get your home put right and to get you compensated!

Furthermore, depending on the disrepair, the timeframe, and the severity of your case, you may be entitled to compensation. Our expert team at NJS Solicitors can talk you through the process if your individual claim meets the requirements.

Which repairs are the Council responsible for?

You will first need to check your Tenancy Agreement to get an idea of what duties they have as your landlord. But generally, it is their role to repair the following:

Damage to the interior and exterior structure of the home, for instance, the foundation, brickwork, walls, roof, guttering, and windows.
● Any leaks and causes of damp.
● Faults with your heating, radiators, gas, and electrics.

However, your Local Council can only make these repairs if you notify them of the problem. It is vital you keep a timeline of the disrepair, the correspondence between you and your landlord, and the ongoing impacts the disrepair has had on you- such as health issues, disruption to your day-to-day life, and impact on your mental health.

In addition, the costs of these repairs are their responsibility, meaning they are not allowed to pass any costs onto you. Unless you or your visitors have caused damage to the property, then it is your responsibility to arrange and pay for the repair.

Do I have a case?

If you have notified your Local Council and they are aware of the disrepair, but they have failed to act, you may be able to make a claim against them.

This is especially valid if they are slow to do the repair or have carried out an inspection but seemingly done nothing of action to rectify the disrepair. You can also make a claim if they have done the work to a low standard, and consequently, the issue is still ongoing.

Disrepairs like the ones mentioned above, impair the function of your home. You may not only feel inconvenienced but also unsafe. It can be a stressful situation to experience which is why our understanding team at Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors is here to help.

Next Steps…

Our Housing Disrepair Specialists have extensive experience with making claims against Councils and Local Authorities. They can ensure the crucial repairs are completed in the appropriate amount of time.

You may also be entitled to compensation if:

• The disrepair has caused you personal injury, from respiratory illness to physical harm.
• There is damage to your belongings.
• It has caused a significant inconvenience and/or emotional distress.

Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors operate on a No Win No Fee basis, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us today.

Contact Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors on 01625 667 166 or email


For fast, friendly affordable legal advice. Contact a member of our team today.


For any questions we may be able to answer, discover our FAQ section.

Contact Us