Housing Disrepair Claim Guide

Housing Disrepair Claim Guide

This Guide gives information on housing disrepair claims.

It explains the tenant’s and landlord’s responsibilities to do repairs and what options the tenant has if the landlord doesn’t meet their obligations.


Average Compensation - £1,895
We work on a NO WIN NO FEE basis
to get your home put right and to get you compensated!

What is classed as housing disrepair?

If you are a tenant, living in a Council or Housing Association rented property which has fallen into disrepair and your landlord has failed to repair it for you, you may have a disrepair claim against your Council or Housing Association.

As a tenant you have the legal right to live in a property safe and free from any issues of disrepair.

Your Council or Housing Association has a legal obligation to repair your property and maintain it to a reasonable standard of living conditions. 

What repairs constitute housing disrepair?

You are eligible to claim for Housing Disrepair if your Council or Housing Association Property is affected by any of the defects listed below:

  • Damp and mould
  • Defective Brickwork
  • Defective Roofing
  • Cracks
  • Leaks
  • Defective Windows
Claim against your landlord

If you are living in disrepair and you have reported the issue to your Council or Housing Association given them sufficient time to carry out the repairs, and they have failed to fix them for you or ignored you completely, you may be due compensation and rent refund.

How Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors can help you

Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors are one of the very few housing disrepair solicitors, across England and Wales, who have a professional and dedicated legal team to ensure that your repairs are completed and more importantly get your home into the great condition that you deserve.

We can help you with the following aspects:

– Instruct a surveyor to assess the disrepair and provide a report to use as evidence
– If necessary, legally ensure your housing association or council completes all your repairs.
– Claim compensation for you for the period of time your property has been in disrepair

Nicholson Jones Sutton Solicitors are specialists housing disrepair solicitors, assisting tenants nationwide on a NO WIN NO FEE basis to compel their Council to carry out crucial repairs to their properties, in addition to recovering compensation for the period of time repairs have been delayed.

Our team has decades of combined experience in dealing with Housing Disrepair Claims. We are sympathetic, understanding, and are here to help you every step of the way.

Call or email us today to start your claim.


For fast, friendly affordable legal advice. Contact a member of our team today.


For any questions we may be able to answer, discover our FAQ section.

Contact Us